HERitage Giving Fund at Dallas Women's Foundation
HERitage Giving Fund was founded August 2017, during Black Philanthropy Month. The mission of the HERitage Giving Fund, a giving circle at Texas Women’s Foundation, is to encourage philanthropy in the African-American/Black community, to contribute in a strategic and meaningful way, and to bring a new source of funding to nonprofit organizations serving African-American women and girls throughout the North Texas area. The circle provides an opportunity to learn about issues and organizations that affect and impact the African-American/Black community.
HERitage is committed to engaging Black women of varying economic status and backgrounds, who have a heart for investing in organizations, often grassroots, small to medium in size and/or start ups. Often these organizations have limited access to funding sources to support basic operating needs (staff income, supplies, transportation, etc.), help to increase service capacity and reach, and sustain much-needed program services over time. This is why Heritage Giving Fund and other giving circles are important.
Additionally, HERitage Giving Fund will provide members, donors, and friends with opportunities for Philanthropy Empowerment and member socials.
The Founding Officers are:
Akilah S. Wallace, Chair
Halima Leak Francis, Co-Chair
Dr. Froswa’ Booker-Drew, Grants Committee Chair
Applying For A Grant
Our grants cycle is currently closed. The HERitage Giving Fund awards grants to organizations that:
- are located in the North Texas area and serve African-American women and girls who live, work or study in North Texas area;
- are African-American female led (Executive Director, Board Chair or Program Director supervising the program to be funded) and 50% or more of the clients served are African-American;
- demonstrate innovative and promising approaches to addressing the social and economic obstacles that are barriers to success for African-American women and girls;
- use both a gender lens and an African-American/Black cultural lens to frame effective strategies and create valuable opportunities for African-American women and girls; and,
- have a sound mission and objectives for the organization’s impact.
The HERitage Giving Fund will award one year grants up to $10,000. The grants cycle will open next summer. Check back here for more information.